"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."
(The Vegan Society definition).
There are thousands if not millions of articles out there on veganism/plant based diets, but as White Rabbit Skincare is a proudly vegan company, and we thought we'd use our little section of the internet (this blog) today to discuss the benefits of being 'powered by plants'; not just in the skincare industry, but everyday life.
Why Vegan Skincare?
We understand the benefits of (certain) ingredients such as beeswax in skincare products, and why people continue to use them, but as a company who is seeking to be as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible, using anything animal-dervied - even those substances which some may not associate with animals - just doesn't sit easy with us here at White Rabbit Skincare.
Plus plant-derived ingredients are packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fatty acids...(the list goes on!) - a great majority of which can't be found in animal/insect derivatives.
Remember also the key fact that 60% of what you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream - so why not nourish and nurture your skin with pure products/ingredients that are compatible with your body, rather than at odds with it?
Vegan: benefits to our planet
- We currently use a huge 30% of the earth's land mass just to raise animals for human consumption (this includes land for grazing and also growing feed crops for the animals)
- Furthermore, in the United States alone 70% of the grain produced is for farmed animals. Imagine how many people we could feed instead!
- A sickening 80% of felled precious land in the Amazon Rainforest is used for cattle grazing
- To produce 1 single pound of animal protein, compared to 1 pound of soy protein, takes 12 times as much land, 13 times as much fossil fuel and 15 times as much water.
Vegan: benefits to health
- Large scale studies such as The China Study have revealed that too much protein (namely animal) is harmful to your health, and research shows that excess protein can cling to your body as fat or strain your kidneys.
- Moreover animal fats and proteins have been shown to raise a person's risk of developing illnesses including (but not limited to) cancer (especially prostate, breast and bowel), diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and hypertension.
- People on a plant based diet tend to have lower cholesterol and live longer.
- As vegan/plant based diets tend to be lower in saturated fat, visceral fats (the fat around your internal organs) doesn't accumulate, and fat loss whilst retaining muscle mass is an often positive side effect!
- A lack of meat protein means that there is no build up of waste products (such as uric and lactic acids) in the muscles, which tend to lead to soreness (such as after exercising) and slower recovery time.
- By eliminating dairy (and thus excess oestrogen's which come with it) you can have a profound effect on PMS, skin health and even sex drive!
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this - are you plant powered?!